When you hear about health and wellness most people think about their physical or mental health, but your spiritual health is just as important. Our mind, body, and spirit are all deeply connected and the health of one can significantly affect the health of another.
If you have been following my blog you have probably already read “My Testimony” (but if not click here). My faith is so important to me and has made me the person that I am today. Without it, I’m not sure where I would be. My faith gives me purpose, meaning, guidance and hope. I honestly don’t think my physical or mental health would be as healthy if I didn’t have my spiritual life to guide me.
Spirituality and religious activity have been a source of comfort and relief from stress for many. While people may use different religions and paths to find God or to express their spirituality, research has shown that those who are more religious or spiritual and use their spirituality to cope with challenges in life experience many benefits to their health and well-being.
Here are some ways you can boost your spiritual health:
- Connect with your faith community. Many spiritual traditions encourage participation in a community. Spiritual fellowship, such as attending church, can be a source of social support which may provide a sense of belonging, security, and community. Strong relationships have been proven to increase your wellbeing. One study found a strong association between church attendance and improved health, mood, and wellbeing.
- Spend time in prayer. As a follower of Jesus, I know prayer is my time to connect with God. It is not just about asking for our needs to be met. Just like in all relationships you need to be able to communicate to get to know each other. God calls us to pray to develop and deepen our relationship with Him. Praying also has a comforting way of soothing your soul and bringing you more peace.
- Read the Bible or spiritual books. I love to read! Reading the Bible is a way for us to draw closer to God. He speaks to us through His word which provides wisdom, guidance, and direction for our lives. There are also a lot of great books from Christian authors that provide spiritual guidance as well.
- Journal your thoughts and prayers. Every morning I start my day with journaling. I write all that I am thankful for, my prayer requests, and anything that is going on in my life. Journaling allows me to express my feelings in a safe place and helps me to let go of stress and anxiety. When I go back and read previous entries, I can see all that God has been doing in my life and how he has answered my prayers.
- Listening to Worship music is a wonderful way to nurture your spirituality. I don’t think anything touches my soul more deeply than listening and singing praise songs. Truly heartfelt worship is intimate and powerful. It is very inspirational and can feed your soul to its core. This strengthens your faith and spirituality, which provides a good foundation for your spiritual growth.
- God has given us all different gifts that we can use to serve or volunteer. When we give our time to help others it actually helps us to feel better. Through serving, we increase our ability to love and become less selfish. There is great joy in serving and it always helps us grow spiritually.
- Being in nature is a wonderful way to improve your spiritual health. Taking in the beauty of all that God has created, you can’t help but be in awe. Nature can generate a multitude of positive emotions including joy, peace, and calmness.
- Surround yourself with spiritual people. When you are around people who love Jesus, you can’t help but notice their love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, and gentleness. If you want to improve your spiritual health asked to be mentored by others who are growing and learning and are willing to impart their wisdom to you.
- Don’t forget to rest! A part of being spiritually healthy is taking a sabbath day (which is a holy day of rest). Our lives can become so overwhelmed and busy that we sometimes forget the value of rest. We need to have a day where we relax our body and mind and focus on God and family. Rest is essential for a balanced healthy life.
Spiritual wellness offers a deeper meaning in life. When we are spiritually healthy, we feel more connected to God and to those around us. We have more clarity, peace, and direction in our lives. It doesn’t mean that your life is always perfect but it allows you to have a sense of contentment no matter what your situation is.
As I said in my testimony if you don’t know Jesus I highly recommend you seek Him out. If you have known Him but have walked away, run back to Him. His arms are always open for you. He loves you more than you could imagine and there is nothing that can keep you from his love and forgiveness. Your whole life will be changed when you focus on your spiritual health.
Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean He no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? … No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow — not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below — indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35, 37-39)
If you are looking for some amazing worship music check out Bethel Music. They always have a way of speaking to my heart.