How many times have you started a new diet, lost a few pounds, and then quit? This has been my journey more times than I can remember. I start out so good but then for some reason I just give up, or give in to my temptations. Studies have shown that out of those of us who made New Year’s resolutions 80% end up giving up by the second or third week of January.
I wanted to figure out why this was my pattern. I also wanted to figure out how to change it going forward. Here are some steps that really helped me be successful this time:
- You have to really want this for yourself. This is more than just wishing you could lose a few pounds or dreaming about being thin by summer. You have to have an extreme desire! This desire is like a wild animal that is hungry or thirsty and knows their life depends on them finding food and water to survive. They have no other choice and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.
- You need to have a plan. I have tried several diets. I am always looking for the quickest way to lose the most amount of weight. What I have found that works best for me is WW. They provide me with a plan that fits with my lifestyle. I don’t feel deprived. There are no foods that are off limits and I know I can do this for the rest of my life. I think most diets work but you need to decide what will work best for you. If you can eat cabbage soup every day for the rest of your life then maybe the Cabbage Soup diet is for you. The point is to make a plan and follow it.
- You need to change your mindset. The most fascinating step I have learned is how much our mind plays into our success. We are very good at self-sabotage. We need to learn how to overcome this. We need to replace negative thoughts with positive ones. When we tell ourselves, we can’t do something we need to replace it with “I can do this” or “I will do this”! I have seen so many people struggle in this area and it ultimately becomes their downfall. Learning how to renew my mind really changed my life and helped me to finally reach my goal.
- You need to find someone you can be accountable to. Whether that is a friend, spouse or support group, having someone to keep you accountable will help you through this process. For me, having to weigh myself in front of someone really kept me on track. It was so easy to cheat if nobody else knew what the scale said.
- You need a support system. Find someone who inspires and encourages you! Find a group that shares their struggles and their victories. Don’t do this alone!
You are in complete control of your choices. Continue to push through when it feels hard! Once you start seeing results I know that will help give you the motivation to continue on your journey.
I am proof that these steps work! Take that first step and I know you will be well on your way to finding the success you have always dreamed of. You can do it! I believe in you!!